Pages

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Being 2 Steps Ahead.

About 1 year ago, my five year old boy (Ruey) who then was four, was diagnosed with ADHD/ODD. Which is much worse that just ADHD, but occasionally happens. (Read about ODD HERE.) It was a serious change in my lifestyle.  We had been in and out the of Doctors office since he was 3 and showing signs of odd behavior.  He would rush and attempt to stop traffic, he was mean, and started yelling.  It was all so quick, as a baby and toddler, he was happy and easy-going all the time.  Nothing bothered him.  Nowdays it is a completely different story.
I get to be up in the mornings before him so I can make sure he gets his Adderall right at 6:30 otherwise, it ends up being too late to give him a second dose 6 hours later. (He can't have it after 2:00PM or it keeps him up all night.)
The good news is, he is usually pretty mild when he first wakes up.  He likes to just lounge around on the couch wrapped in a blanket.  Lucky for me, so I have time to get the 2 oldest off to school.
A year ago when we finally figured this all out, I wasn't too concerned.  My thoughts at the time were "oh, this should be easy, just make sure he gets his pills and he will be normal and everything will work out"  How I wish I was more concerned back then.  It wasn't just that simple.  I dealt with the mood swings and the being mean, just thinking "He had his pills, so this must be a phase or something like that."
The truth out the matter was and is, I have to be 2 steps ahead at all times.  I need to have a schedule worked out and stick to it.  He loves crafts and coloring and stuff like that. So that is one thing I need to stay on top of.  We run out quickly because he will do some for hours.  Gluing popsicle sticks, perler beads, beading on strings...you name it.  He loves them and I get something done and know he is not burning the shed down. (He actually lit it on fire one day when he was unattended for 2 minutes while I was changing the baby, but that is another story.)
  Getting him to so even the simplest chores can be an act of congress at times.  Other times he is willing to do his chores if he is getting something out of the deal.
We have been to see his pediatrician several times and changed his meds and doses.  Right now, he is quite a different boy.  The meds this time seem to be helping.  But that is no excuse for me to lax...his body still moves faster than is brain sometimes.  He never thinks about consequences, but I am told, as he gets older and I make sure to keep his meds regular, he will start thinking about things like this, and making better choices on his own.
I have changed alot in his diet, taking out highly processed foods, and Red 40.  I do, however, let him had processed food sometime and even red 40 sneaks into his diet occasionally.  I have on the blog some recipes that I have adjusted and made healthier. Check them out if you have a second.  Just changing his diet to a healthier, less processed diet has been beneficial not only for him, but for the rest of the family as well.
I am posting this because I know this is no rare disorder and tons of other children out there have it, whether their parents will admit it or not.  I would love to hear your suggestions and your stories about the best things you have done for yours and what has helped you.

No comments:

Post a Comment